Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apply Replaygain: Prevent clipping according to peak? (Read 9094 times) previous topic - next topic

Apply Replaygain: Prevent clipping according to peak?

Hello, this is a question especially for classical listeners (Orchestra, Symphonic stuff).

I'll convert stuff from lossless to AAC for my living room stereo. With fb2k's converter, you know you can apply replaygain on the material. I'll choose 89db. Would you apply clipping prevention or not? The question is, how big is the chance I'd get audible clipping? I think I will apply gain and use no clipping prevention to have a unique gain. My guess is, at +89 the risk is rather low. But not sure though. Because otoh in classical we have a lot of dynamcis.

Thx...

Reply #1
In case of classical, I wouldn't replay gain at all. When listening to classical music, you rarely swap from one piece to another, I presume: you mostly listen to one entire symphony or opera. You certainly do not want, as an audiophile, for your audio to clip. Replaygain is a must when playing back pop songs from different sources one after another. It does not make a lot of sense for classical music, in my opinion.

Reply #2
In case of classical, I wouldn't replay gain at all. When listening to classical music, you rarely swap from one piece to another, I presume: you mostly listen to one entire symphony or opera. [...] It does not make a lot of sense for classical music, in my opinion.
The more I think about it, I come to the conclusion you're right. I shouldn't waste too much time tinking about such things

Reply #3
Whether you use ReplayGain or not is up to you, but if you do use it, you should certainly use clipping prevention.

The only time* people don't use it is when they really want everything to be the same loudness, even if that means pushing some tracks into distortion. This is especially likely to happen when pushing the loudness up.

* - OK, maybe some people don't use it because they handle clipping elsewhere - e.g. floating point decoding, following by dynamic range control and/or peak limiting.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
In case of classical, I wouldn't replay gain at all. When listening to classical music, you rarely swap from one piece to another, I presume: you mostly listen to one entire symphony or opera. You certainly do not want, as an audiophile, for your audio to clip. Replaygain is a must when playing back pop songs from different sources one after another. It does not make a lot of sense for classical music, in my opinion.
I completely agree with you on this!
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing