Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Possible to make foobar2000 enqueue AND play from Windows Explorer? (Read 3799 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible to make foobar2000 enqueue AND play from Windows Explorer?

Hello everyone!

Scenario: I'm currently listening to a song but all of the sudden feel like listening to another one. I'm browsing my music folder, double-click my desired MP3, and it plays just fine. However, on top of that it also completely empties the current playlist, making it the only remaining song.

As a workaround I've enabled Shell Integration -> Set "Enqueue" as default action, which adds the file without clearing the playlist. Unfortunately, it does only that and I still have to manually start the song.

Is there a way to make it Enqueue AND play?

Reply #1
I'm browsing my music folder, double-click my desired MP3, and it plays just fine. However, on top of that it also completely empties the current playlist, making it the only remaining song.

What else have you expected? Double click on file HAVE to open it - it is essential Windows function. Instead of double clicking you can drag and drop files onto playlist.

Reply #2
Double click on file HAVE to open it - it is essential Windows function.
Not relevant to the question of whether enqueuing can be accompanied by automatic initiation of playback.

Reply #4
Given that the default behaviour when selecting Play in Explorer is intended (whether or not we like it), I’ve renamed this thread to reflect the feature request rather than suggesting the observations are unintended.

Personally, I don’t know of a way to do this, but it’s possible there’s a way to achieve it. I found an old thread with recommendations of command lines and alterations to the registry that would achieve the desired result, but it also contained a warning by a developer that those would not affect how foobar2000 loads files because it does so via an Explorer-registered shell extension rather than a registry key. Maybe there’s another way that I haven’t read about.

And since we’re cross-pollinating all over the place today on the subject of opening files from Explorer, dhromed suggested this:
Might be a good idea to make "unexpectedly trash the user's work" not the default, and dump&replace every shell-opened file in a playlist called "shell opened" or something.

Reply #5
So, I'll guess there's no way of achieving this right now? I've searched the registry and found an entry called "DefaultShellAction", which is currently set to enqueue. However, I'm guessing that's just the checkbox I ticked in the program itself, so that'll hardly help me. It'd be cool if you could link me to that thread, db1989, so I can give it a try.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Reply #7
Read through it, did as told, no results. I'm surprised why this is not an option yet, since it has apparently been requested since 2009, if not even earlier. It's hard for me to believe the developers didn't acknowledge it yet, since they have the two options (playing and enqueuing) already, so they just need to combine them.

Well, I guess I have to live with enqueuing and manually playing. It's not a big deal, but still a nuisance a music player shouldn't have. Like, I don't even remotely get why anyone would want to have his playlist cleared when they send in a new file from the Explorer. It just doesn't make sense to me, and this is the only player I've seen so far to have this silly feature.

Oh well, guess ranting won't help me either. Thanks for the help!